FTM UK

A UK based FTM lifestyle forum open to all nationalities and gender identities

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to FTM UK

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Exam Certificates - Name Change
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:06 pm 

User Type: Member
Gender ID: Male
Pronouns: he
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has an up-to-date contact for the individuals or the departments at AQA, Edexcel and OCR that deal with getting your name changed on exam certificates (GCSE & A-level) after transitioning?

Sorry I know this question has probably been asked a ton of times, but I'm looking to try and find up-to-date info/contacts, and would prefer to go directly to an individual or the right department rather than going through the long general enquiries-type route passing through multiple people and explaining the situation multiple times!

Cheers!

Mac

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Exam Certificates - Name Change
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
Addicted

Pronouns: yo mate, dude
Just a heads up for edexcel require a letter saying you're medically transitioning or a GRC. There is a petition going to get them to change this outdated and possibly illegal practice, I'll try and find a link to it.
Aqa on the other hand, were great with me, I think I just contacted them via their webpage and the correct people emailed me back and I dealt with the same person throughout, I'll see if I can find the email address for you.
Never tried OCR.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:30 pm 
Addicted

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... ate-policy

The person I emailed (over a year ago) was [email protected]

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:57 pm 

Thanks very much that's really useful :) I've got something that should cover that requirement from edexcel, do you know is that done just through a general enquiries portal as well then?

That's totally unreasonable from edexcel to demand a GRC just to change the name on the cert though! I'll try and pass that link on, hopefully that 'policy' will get changed soon.

Cheers,
Mac

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 am 
Addicted

I just went through the general enquiries and explained I was trans etc.
Would be great if you could sign and share link :-)

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm 
I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE

Gender ID: Male (FtM)
Pronouns: He, Him, His
I posted help with this somewhere recently but now can't find it, d'oh. I'm copying and pasting this in from another trans support group i use sometimes:

Sample email template for contacting exam boards:

Dear [name],
Since leaving school I have undergone gender reassignment and wish to obtain a replacement of my [GCSE/A level/other] certificates in my new name. I would like to know how to arrange this and what information or documents you require to provide me with the amended certificates.
Kind regards,
[name]

----------------------------

Each exam board has a nominated person who deals with trans cases, their emails are given below. Where documents e.g. deed poll are requested you should send photocopies rather than originals, except when returning the certificates you want replacing.
-----------------------------

AQA: Will replace certificates free of charge. If your school's name is gendered e.g. X School For Girls they will remove the school name and replace it with a generic name, if the school name is not gendered it will stay as it is.

Main contact: Sarah Miller, [email protected] or Val Purcell

Required documents:
Photocopy of ID in old name e.g. Birth certificate or old passport
Photocopy of ID in new name e.g. current passport or driving license, or new birth certificate if you have a GRC (not the GRC itself)
Photocopy of deed poll/stat dec
Old certificates

Address to send documents to:
Sarah Miller
AQA Devas Street
Manchester
M15 6EX

OCR: Will now replace certificates free of charge.

Main contact: [email protected]

Required documents:
Copy of current photo ID (driving license or passport)
Copy of deed poll or stat dec
Old certificates (if you have them)
A covering letter giving details of your school or college, along with the years in which you sat your examinations

Nick Butt
OCR Results (Historical Records)
Operations
1 Hills Road
Cambridge
CB1 2EU
Edexcel: Will replace certificates free of charge. If your school name is gendered they may remove it, check when you contact them if this is relevant.

Main contact: Sarah Eyres, [email protected]

Required documents:
Copy of current photo ID (driving license or passport)
Copy of deed poll or stat dec
Old certificates
Utility bill less than 3 months old with your current name and address
One of the following also required:
a letter from your doctor or consultant confirming that your change of gender is permanent; or
a copy of your new birth or adoption certificate showing your acquired gender.

FAO Lottie McCarthy
Data Protection Department
Pearson
80 The Strand
London WC2R ORL

WJEC:
Certifications Support Officer
Past Records WJEC/CBAC
245 Western Avenue, Cardiff
CF5 2YX
Direct Tel no. 029 20265041 Email: [email protected]

Letter sent:
Good Afternoon I am contacting you regarding obtaining a new GCSE certificate due to undergoing gender reassignment since leaving school in June 2005 and being issued my certificate. By refusing to issue me a new certificate in my current legal name you will be forcing me to disclose my transgender status to prospective employers and education establishments, this would be in accordance with breaking the data protection act 1998 and placing me at a higher risk or discrimination and potentially harmful repercussions from others. Other exam boards such as AQA and Edexcel have agreed to issue me new certificates free of charge and I feel it is only fair for me to ask you to do the same. I would be very grateful if you could inform me if you can meet this request and what evidence you will require in order to do so. I should also note that no other exam board has asked for medical evidence to support this request and I am not obligated to provide any. I will however provide proof of my birth name and my deed polls to show the paper trail from the name currently on my certificate and the name and identity I live as today. I look forward to hearing from you

Reply received:
Thank you for your email. We can provide Certifying Statements of Results (Replacement Certificates) free of charge. Please follow the procedure below:
Return the original certificate.
Send a letter requesting WJEC to amend the certificate with the new name clearly stated.
Send a photocopy of the Birth Certificate and current ID or Deed Poll certificate.
I hope this helps. Please get in touch if you have any queries.

-------------------------------------------------------

The following details are for the contact at London South Bank University who changed the name on my Foundation Degree certificate and issued me with a new one free of charge:

Martin BundyAssistant Registrar
Exams and Conferments Team Leader
The Registry
London South Bank University
103 Borough Road
London
SE1 0AA
T: +44 (0)20 7815 8189
F: +44 (0)20 7815 8194
E: [email protected]

In order for the changes to be made to the certificate, the following evidence needs to be provided:
A copy of your deed poll or stat dec
A letter from your doctor confirming that you are undergoing gender reassignment and that the change is intended to be permanent.
The original award certificate.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gender ID: male
him
Bio: The purple shirt of sex...
Cool letter. It's about time institutions and companies started obeying the law and not being a ***** and making our lives difficult.

I didn't bother with my 'O' and 'A' level certs but I have changes all my degrees and post graduate qualifications (of which there were many and from several different institutions) and everyone had a policy in place and it was very easy to do. I just phoned up the registrar's office at the deanery of the university involved and they gave me a contact phone no and email address of the person who dealt with re-issuing of certificates.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:22 pm 

None of that info above comes from me, by the way. I still haven't changed my GCSE and A-Level certificates, although I do intend to once I've got my GRC (might be more persuasive). Fortunately, I registered as male with both unis so my degrees are correct. Glad you got yours changed, Neal - in your line of work, I imagine you have to show it for every new job!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gender ID: male
him
Bio: The purple shirt of sex...
every 4-6 months!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 pm 

Yikes! Do you keep it in a special fire-proof vault, lol?

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]