FTM UK

A UK based FTM lifestyle forum open to all nationalities and gender identities

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to FTM UK

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Ftm as a healthcare professional
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 pm 

User Type: Member
Gender ID: Ryyc
Pronouns: He
Bio: Just like that
Hi I'm a new member and thinking of getting t in two years. However, one of my concerns is am I still able to work/ practice as a healthcare professional if I'm a trans guy. I'm currently a registered pharmacist but I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to do so. Any thoughts ?

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Ftm as a healthcare professional
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:44 pm 
Addicted

Gender ID: Male
Pronouns: Him, his and he.
Bio: Eccentricity personified*
Hello, Ryan, welcome to the forum :-) I think Neal might have a better idea than me, but as far as I know there should not be a problem with that.

*The ones who claim to be eccentric, crazy or odd are usually the most boring people you'll come across. Could I be the exception? ;-)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 am 
I LIKE BIG BUTTS AND I CANNOT LIE

Gender ID: Male (FtM)
Pronouns: He, Him, His
Never wrote:
Please try not to make multiple threads on the same thing, people come on fairly regularly and should answer your post if you leave it on the one thread. I'm not getting at you here, just asking that you try not to. I understand you need an answer and hopefully, you will get a definitive one but be patient. I hope that you do continue posting and enjoy this forum and the people on this forum. We are a friendly bunch and we help each other out. We can usually give the answers and if not, we find the direction to point you in for those answers. Again, welcome :-)

Agreed, it looks like less than 10 minutes passed before the re-post. But maybe it was a glitch? :)

Anyway, hi Ryan. Is your concern because you'll have access to T as a pharmacist and they might think you'll steal it or something? (Although I guess the same could be said about any medication...) Or is it because you currently have to talk to female customers about stuff like the morning-after pill and as a guy you won't be allowed to, or...?

I reckon it'll be fine, depending on the root of your worries. But I agree with Never that Neal (a qualified clinician) might have a more helpful answer for you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 am 

Gender ID: Ryyc
Pronouns: He
Bio: Just like that
Sorry about the repost :(. I was trying to delete the one here as I thought I posted it on the wrong site.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:00 pm 
Addicted

Pronouns: yo mate, dude
No mate you'll have to retrain as something else, trans people aren't allowed to do the same jobs as cis people.

That was of course bollocks. What even makes you think that? Why would being trans make any difference? I know for a fact there are trans doctors, nurses just as there are trans people in every walk of life.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am 

Gender ID: gender fluid FtM
Pronouns: he/him/his
It is against the law to discriminate against someone based on their gender. Being a trans person shouldn't be a barrier to anything you want to do in your life.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 pm 
Regular

Gender ID: I'm Sam
Pronouns: Yo dude!
@ sjm Why on earth would you think a male pharmacist can't talk to female customers or vice versa? Their trained professionals its a bit like saying men can only see male Drs etc...

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:07 pm 
Addicted

To be fair, I know why Ryan asked if he meant the issues apart from employment and I know why SJM said that, in things like contraception, the morning after pill and gyno issues, women prefer a female doctor/pharmacist. Of course, a male doctor/pharmacist can and does handle this too but most ask for a female. If you (Ryan) were asking from purely a trans standpoint, anyone cis or trans person can do any job without question and if there is a question raised that is likely discrimination and that needs to be handled by a person in a higher position via complaint. I know why I said Neal might have a better idea but there was no need, yes, you should have no problems working a pharmacist job being trans as has been already said within this thread. Neal does work in medicine but this is mainly an employment question I'm assuming so I could have answered simply from the start. For that, I apologise.

Ryan, it doesn't matter about the repost I can delete that, don't worry. You're new here and mistakes do happen. I'm sorry for my little rant.

*The ones who claim to be eccentric, crazy or odd are usually the most boring people you'll come across. Could I be the exception? ;-)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 pm 
Regular

Gender ID: I'm Sam
Pronouns: Yo dude!
Well since i worked in an emergency pharmacy ie open 365 days a year yes even xmas day, i know for a fact if you genuinely really need help then customers don't care if the pharmacist is male or female tbh and if it was during normal hours they would go to a pharmacy that did have someone of the preferred gender that they wished to speak to!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm 
Addicted

I had forgotten you had worked in a pharmacy. I was just commenting on experiences I have known, that's all. Didn't mean to cause offense, honestly. Shouldn't have really added to that as it wasn't my business to answer. I apologise.

Report this post

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]